Saturday, November 1, 2008

a piece of cake, I mean, pie

So to pick up where I left off...amidst the running around like headless poultry, I managed to not only finish the two pies, but I baked them without burning them.  They actually looked rather nice, if I do say so myself, and I do.

I put them both on a cookie tray and grabbed the vanilla bean ice cream to go with and hurried off to kinship group, arriving just before the crowd.

One by one people came in and looked at the pies and smiled.  Some commented in the traditional male utterances of the day (oh yeah! we're gonna have pie! oh yeah!), some of the ladies commented on how "fancy" they were....(I did a lattice topcrust on the blueberry pie and on the apple pie I used mini apple cutouts to create 4 vents and placed the cutout pie bits on top of the crust between the vent holes)...others commented on how they were gonna have to wait until tomorrow for their diet.

Since it was game night, we let the pies sit while we joined in a rousing game of Apples to Apples. When we finished people gathered around, said it was a shame to cut into them,etc....but they got over it.  I was busy scooping out the ice cream for people and chatting with folks in the kitchen...I didn't even eat.  Then people started leaving and I started cleaning up the kitchen...and then I realized that despite the fact that at least 7 people had pie...I was left with over a pie and a half left.  Whoever cut the pieces had cut 1/2 sized pieces.  So I was left to take home almost all of my pies.  (sigh)

I don't think I'll be making pies again.  I'll be eating them for so long it'll be at least a year before they sound remotely appealing.

No comments: